Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Ramblings on the adventure


These past three years working as the youth program coordinator at Common Ground in Oberlin, Ohio have been some of the best in my life. I learned a lot about myself, how I relate to others socially, and how passionate I am about working with kids. It has been a wonderful experience for me and found myself more committed to my work there than to anything else in the past. I could say that it was difficult to leave, and while there was fear in making the decision, now that I have left I see already it was the right decision! 

External change can be an easy and positive metaphor for internal movement. I started the chapter of my life at Common Ground as an adventurer, fresh from a seven month hike of the Appalachian and Florida trails. A lot of people came into my life in the past three years and affected me. I understood what it meant to be part of something in a way that I never had before. I understood what it meant to be deeply committed to a goal greater than myself. I started to feel trapped. I started to feel like there was more out there that I wanted to see. And so it was a good time to walk away. Indeed at some point in the future I will settle down and live a "normal" life. But this moment is not the time for that. So I leave Common Ground an adventurer. 

One of the special people that came into my life in the past three years is a little boy named Branden. Branden is a camper at the summer camp I worked at. One of the reasons Branden is such a special kid is that as an eight year old he embodies the aliveness of being a child. He is unreserved, does not care what the world might think of him (or at least acts from that place), has boundless energy, hides nothing, and is curious about the Wild! In a sense, adventuring for me is stepping into my child leadership. 

A new friend Michael gave me a book of wisdom last night by Paulo Coelho. I love this quote: "The Warrior of the Light views life with tenderness and determination...He stands before a mystery...every so often he says to himself: This life is absolutely insane. Yes, life is insane. But the great wisdom of the Warrior lies in choosing his insanity wisely."

No comments: