Sunday, October 19, 2008

925 kilometers, 5 rides, and 10 hours later...

















924 km, around 10 hours, and 5 rides later I was in St. Jean Pied de Port.

I met a whole host of characters on my hitchhiking adventures. Even without knowing French it was easier than I could have imagined and I never had to wait more than 10 minutes for a ride.

One man drove me 40 kilometers out of his way to take me to Grenoble. I was picked up by a truck driver who bought me coffee, gave me lunch and drove me six hours. My next ride in Toulouse were two young women returning from a trip to Amsterdam. In Pau, a kind older lady gave me a ride out of her way to a small town. Finally, three French hippie guys took me the rest of the way to St. Jean Pied de Port. We somehow managed to communicate with a mixture of English, Spanish, and the few phrases of French I knew.

France really is a great country with wonderful people.

By then it was evening and I improvised a camping spot in a vacant field.

No comments: